Sunday, September 7, 2008

Stay Tuned for Some Talk on Traditions

Dear Moms,

This week we are going to talk about something near and dear to my heart, Traditions. A Famous person one time said, “ You don’t have to do great things in your life, just do simple things as if they were extraordinary.” Who do you think said that? If you guessed St. Theresa the little Flower of Jesus, that would be something she said in different words, but not who I was quoting. St. Theresa believed in doing little things for God, so that was a good guess. If you said Mother Teresa of Calcutta, again a great guess, but again wrong. No, this was a quote from Helen Keller; that’s why I was so impressed with it. Think about it for a minute--a blind, deaf woman who could barely speak, aimed her heights on doing simple things, as if they were extraordinary. That’s the key to motherhood in a nutshell. A good mother does simple things each day as if they were extraordinary. One way she can do that is by making every day special and some days EXTRA-SPECIAL. Mom, look for opportunities to make a memory!
One way of Making Memories is through Traditions.

In our home we are fond of Traditions. Yes, we seize every opportunity to make a memory. We want our children to enjoy our home more than any other place on this earth. As Dorothy said on the WIZARD OF OZ, “THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE HOME.” We desire that even our adult children will have good memories of being home. Life is full of memories. I strive very hard in our home to make positive memories; and therefore, we are very fond of traditions at our home, Traditions that we can pass down from generation to generation.

This week I will share some of our favorite family traditions. My hope, dear reader, is that you, in turn, will share a few of yours as well. Then, we can learn from each other. My children look forward to these traditions, which make our house a home. Many of our traditions changed as our children grew older. We do those traditions that seem peaceful to the family. When a tradition became a burden rather than a blessing, it was time to do away with the tradition or at least change it. I have divided this week's daily blog into Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer. So Halloween will be under Autumn, Christmas under Winter etc. So be sure and look each day. I’ll be waiting for your comments!

What a tremendous responsibility Motherhood is. We house our children, first within our wombs, them within our homes, and always in our hearts. As I close my blog today, mainly because my eyes are closing without my permission, I can almost see Dartavia smiling at us from Fiddler on the Roof. If I’m really quiet I can hear him sing loudly, T-R-A-D-I-T-I-O-N, T-R-A-D-I-T-I-O-N…….. Can you hear him too? Maybe it’s a mirage....OR….Maybe I’m already asleep…..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

See you tomorrow,
ELLEN

No comments: