Sunday, September 7, 2008

Winter Traditions

Dear Moms,

Everyone that knows me, knows that I don’t do winters, yet God, in His goodness, has placed my favorite holiday right in the dead of winter. Yes, right when I need to feel God come alive in my heart more than ever before, we celebrate Christmas, the day Christ was born. Not only does Christ come alive in my heart during the Christmas season, but also in the lives of the whole world, young and old, black and white, believer and pagan alike, join in Christmas Traditions. That was until it was not politically correct to say, as a store clerk, “MERRY CHRISTMAS.” My favorite words, by the way. Yes, Christmas is full of traditions. I’m going to list some of ours, and explain them briefly.

1. I send out 500 Christmas Newsletters to my closest friends, with a family picture. I use it as a evangelistic tool to glorify God with praise and thanksgiving. Yes, it has been called by some, a brag letter, but doesn’t Scripture say, “IF YOU WANT TO BOAST, BOAST ON HE LORD”? I give God all the praise for a year well lived in Him.

2. We save all of our Christmas cards and put them aside in a little basket, or presently a ziplock bag. Each night at dinner, we read one card, talk about the person who sent the card, and pray for the person and their family. The next day, I, in years past, would write a letter to the person and tell them I prayed for them. This year, I decided to call the person and catch up in person.. This tradition has gone on for years and is well loved by all, especially me, who you already know am a forever friend. The favorite part for young children is getting to pick the card that will be read.

3. The Jesus Stocking is also a family favorite. We hang an extra stocking by the chimney with care. In the Stocking, we write a letter to Jesus. We tell Jesus what we are going to do for Him this year and ask Him for a special favor for us this year. We each seal the letter in an envelope with our name plainly written on the front. The next New Years Eve we read the letter and see if God answered our prayer, as well as if we were faithful to our promise to God. Then we write the letter for the next year putting it in the Jesus Stocking.

4. We celebrate Family Christmas on the Saturday after Christmas at our home. There is eating, drinking and being merry, very merry. We have chosen that day of celebration because it gives our children, who have children, a chance to be home on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa Claus, who we wouldn’t want them to miss. It also gives them a chance to spend time with the In-Laws if necessary. It gives us a chance to concentrate on Jesus alone on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. One more thing we do on Family Christmas is a ten dollar “WHITE ELEPHANT GRAB BAG EXCHANGE.” It’s a lot of fun as well as humorous.

5. Some years we read Luke 2 at the family diner table, the Nativity Story.

6. I almost forgot; of course, we bake cookies as a family. All the girls and I try recipes new as well as old. Lastly, I make baklava. It’s tradition.

Out with the old, and in with the new--yes, New Year's Eve is the next winter holiday. On New Year's Eve, our family has had the same tradition for as long as I can remember. It’s simple as well as loved by all. We order in Chinese food, rent DVD’s, and eat in front of the television on a big spread-out sheet, picnic style. After diner we consume, a humongous amount of candy, which we don’t need. We spend the evening just being together. My adult children began this tradition with their little ones, and asked, “Mom why do we do this tradition?” My answer was simple, "Dad and I could never get a babysitter on New Year's Eve, and we rarely got to eat out as a family, and everyone loves Chinese. This tradition covered all the bases!"

The last winter holiday that we celebrate is Valentine's Day. Since I am a firm believer in the fact that Valentines' Day is for Lovers, I have never done much with or for the children on this day; I mainly concentrate on my man. I make sure that it is a fun, well-planned, and of course, romantic evening with Patrick, my husband. Check out my website for marriage tips and ideas for One Enchanted Evening together. Otherwise, I say an early bedtime for the children would be second best!

So mom, no matter what your traditions are this winter, get ready because Christmas will be here before we know it. Yes, it’s a Beautiful Life and I’m glad Traditions are a part of mine. So what do you have to add to the list?
Leave a comment or send an e-mail!
ELLEN

No comments: