Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Traditions (part 3)

Dear Moms,
We are really cutting this close, because Christmas will soon be here. You know how it goes, all the festivitities of the holiday season and all the Traditions, have set me back on my Website. However Motherhood is my heart and I am determined to finish the section of the Blog. So here Goes………….



CHRISTMAS DAY TRADITIONS

As I said earlier, we have changed our family Christmas, from Christmas Eve to the Saturday after Christmas. There is of course eating, drinking and all of us being very Merry. We have chosen this day of celebration, because it frees our adult children, who also have children, a chance to be in their own beds waiting for Santa to come down their chimney with care. We wouldn’t want them to miss him. It also gives my children a chance to be with their In-laws, if necessary. It give my husband Pat and I a chance to concentrate on Jesus alone, both on Christmas and Christmas Eve. Christmas Day, is usually a sit down dinner served with our best China. Since there are few of us , there is very little clean-up. We have been known to opt for paper plates---when the whole family gathers. I thank the Lord for whoever invented paper plates, which is God’s gift to large families. As we all sit around the table, we usually read, LUKE 1, as our blessing. Then we pass the Blessing Cup around, each taking a sip of the cup filled with wine after we as we THANK GOD for something He has done for us during the year. Since our children are older and usually go their own ways on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, these two days have become like a Sabbath Rest, where we just eat, then Chill and of course enjoy being with each other. Having the Saturday after Christmas as our Family Holiday, takes a lot of pressure off the Holiday, giving us a peaceful Christmas , as well as a few extra Days to shop. The Scripture I have chosen for Christmas Day is, “BLESS THE LORD OH MY SOUL, AND ALL THAT IS WITHIN ME, BLESS HIS HOLY Name.”



CHRISTMAS COOKIES

I almost forgot, since you already know that we like to cook together as a family, baking together is also an important part of our Christmas Family Tradition. We always pick a Saturday before Christmas, and every one bakes, moms, sometimes dads and always children. It is a BLAST ……… And………a DISASTER rolled into one. There is always, flour and sugar everywhere, not to mention eggs on the floor, and endless SPRINKLES. Oh how the grandkids love Sprinkles. They are in kid heaven and it is one big DELIGHT to watch. No one says, “DON’T SPILL,” because all Mongan are Klutzes,, except my husband Pat. If some one spills, my daughter Charity’s children will say, “THAT’S OK, NANA.” We all over look the mess and enjoy the moment. Christmas Baking is an important part of our family Christmas Season. Many of the cookies are shared with family , relatives and friend. They are Yummy because they are made with love. The bible says, “BE HOSPITABLE, ONE TO ANOTHER.” We live that scripture on the Christmas Baking Day. We have even been known to invite friends to bake with us., which adds to the pleasure. All our welcome at the Mongan’s Home. We have an OPEN HEART OPEN HOME MOTTO and always have.



THE NUTCRACKER

It is our yearly tradition to go to the performance of the Nutcracker during the Christmas Season. It makes a great, unforgettable, “GIRLS NIGHT OUT.” My granddaughter Bella, was so in awe last year, that as the ballerina’s got on stage, she remarked, “ARE THEY REAL, NANA?” The wonder of children. I personally loved the Arts and I love as well, any opportunity to share a moment appreciating the Arts with my children and grandchildren. My love of the arts is maybe because my Dad Bill Manfredi was a artist, or maybe it was because I was a Ballerina, in any event, I feel that all children should be exposed to the Arts. The Scripture I have chosen is, “WE ALL HAVE A VARIETY OF GIFTS.”

These are a few of the Mongan Family traditions. Our children look forward to these traditions which make our house a home. Many of our family traditions have changed as our children grew older. As I mentioned before, we only do those traditions that we can do peacefully. When a tradition becomes a burden, rather than a blessing, it is time to do away with that tradition or to alter the tradition. If a tradition is not kid friendly it will not bring about Family Bonding. Make the traditions enjoyable, please Mom.
That’s all for now. Time to get ready for yet another Christmas Party. I have a suggestion to make, How About Everyone Does Christmas Parties In November Or Else January, and leave December for us to get ready for Christmas. I don’t know about you but I’m a bit overwhelmed. ELLEN
www.momsbestwisdom.com

No comments: