Friday, December 5, 2008

More Funny Things Kids Say II...

Dear Moms,
We all know that, “LAUGHTER WORKS LIKE MEDICINE.” After all the joys and sufferings that Thanksgiving Family Bonding brings us, we could al use a little laugh about now. The second chapter that I am taking, parts of my book “FUNNY THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES,” from is called, “It’s All In A Word.” Children sometimes think that they know what something means when they actual don’t exactly know what it means. You’ll see what I mean, in a minute.
Did you realize that we only comprehend 70% of the words we hear. Our minds fill in the rest according to the context of our conversation. Did you ever notice that when an adult doesn’t understand what you are saying, after two times of repeating, “ WHAT,” they say, “CAN YOU SPELL IT?” Obliviously, children cannot do that until they can spell. Instead, when children hear something, they run with it., They proceed to use the words they heard in a sentence and are sure they are using it correctly. That is another good reason that God gave them parents, Parents can guide them in their ever growing vocabulary and laugh with them along the way. In any event, “ Have You Ever Been Pregnant and broke your water bed?”
Here are some examples of, “It’s all in a word:”:
Kaitlin age four and one half, ran into the kitchen and announced, “Mom, I know what starts with Y, WILD!!!”
One time my husband Pat and I were talking about a couple that had gone on vacation in Miami, where Pat’s parents lived. Our daughter Charity got angry and said, “IT’S MY GRANDMA’S AMI. I was pregnant with our seventh child and very close to delivery. Every night I would say to the children, “If m y water bag breaks , then mommy will go to the hospital, and have our baby.” On Father’s Day, we woke up and Kaitlin age four said, ,”SO MOM, DID YOUR WATER BED BREAK?” It was laughable indeed.
Kaitlin age four, has Godparents, who have the last name of WHITE. One day while watching TV, Kaitlin came running into my bedroom saying, “MY GODPARENTS ARE ON TV, MY GODPARENTS ARE ON TV, THEY SAID THE WHITE HOUSE.”
One day while the children were playing together and shouting at each other, my husband called out from another part of the house, “ BE PATIENT, CHILDREN.” Amanda age 3, looked at me and said, “PATIENCE ARE SICK.” I wondered what she meant until she began to explain, “WHEN JENNY BABYSITS US, WE PLAY DOCTOR , AND ALL THE PATIENTS ARE SICK.”
During my fourth pregnancy, we spent a lot of time trying to decide a name for the new baby. I would read the name books out loud , and ask everyone in the families opinion of that name. One day I came across the name Patience. “HOW ABOUT THE NAME PATIENCE, PATRICK?”I asked my husband, waiting for his reply. Charity, age three, piped in with, “THEN WE COULD SAY, WAIT, PATIENCE.”
It’s all in a word. If you just read between the lines, you can see that your toddler is real putting thought behind their sentences. Even if it doesn’t make sense to you, to him or her it’s just PLAIN ENGLISH, TODDLER STYLE, THAT IS. If you can’t understand toddlers, just wait until they become teens. Mom listen between the lines and listen with your heart. You won’t believe how quickly your vocabulary will grow. Their vocabulary will grow as well. In the midst of all that communication, IT WILL DO WONDERS FOR YOUR RELATIONSHIP. REMEMBER, IT’S ALL IN A WORD. Now, I got to go do Christmas Cards. ELLEN
www.momsbestwisdom.com

No comments: