Monday, August 4, 2008

The C-Word: Chores

In addition to continuing to post the rest of the alphabet weeks, we will start doing a topic a week, with multiple posts (not necessarily every day). So, if you want to get in on the discussion, please leave a comment! Or, if you just want to read what Ellen and everyone else has to say on the subject of the week, check back often!

This week's topic is Chores:

Dear Moms,
Lets talk about the C-WORD today. C is for chores. In our home we had two sayings…………
1. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JOHN A DULL BOY.
2. FIRST WE WORK AND THEN WE PLAY.

Motherhood, as all things in the Christian walk, is a balancing act. We must teach our children how to work hard as well as how to play hard. My theory, as a mom, is once a child has mastered a skill, I would no longer help him in that area. For example, as soon as Tyler could dress himself, it was Tyler’s responsibility to do so. Anything short of that, mom, is enabling. The exception to the rule would be if I was running late to pick up a carpool to school. This problem was easily solved, as I aimed high at always allotting enough time to make the time commitments in my day. This was no easy feat as the mother of seven active children!

Mom, you may say to yourself, ”It’s just so much easier if I just do it myself.“ You know what, YOU ARE RIGHT. However, putting the effort in up front to teach your child basic skills bears great fruit. Most of our children could run the house at age ten in my absence. They were taught to cook, clean , babysit and do the One secret to my success was, I parented with 80% praise and 20% correction. So, if they put the babies diaper on backwards or burned the grilled cheese sandwiches, I’d muster up a smile and give a hug that said, "thank you so much." The result was they’d try harder. Here’s a hint, mom, Nothing stops growth more than discouragement. Don’t take my word for it; try a little experiment. Spend one day correcting your child on everything they try to do. You can call it perfecting or just trying to get them to do it right, if it makes you feel better. Record your results of the day. Now, spend the next day in high praise for your child’s accomplishments, no matter how great and no matter how small. Also record your results. What day was your child more motivated? What day was your child happier? What day were you both more peaceful? Mom, what kind of home do you want to run? One with peace and joy or with discouragement and frustration? Let’s get busy moms. Let's form these children for the Kingdom of God...Let us delight in them as God delights in us when He teaches us a new skill! Let us do it the 1 Cor. 13 way. Make love be your aim, Mom. How about dropping me an e-mail,

Ellen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am big on the encouragement as well. Our 14 month old isn't quite ready to take over, but I definitely want to teach her all things that it takes to make a house a home.

I'm so blessed for this time that I can home with her! Thanks for this great post!