Thursday, August 7, 2008

Chores Continued

Dear Moms,

As you see I am committed to writing on a variety of Motherhood subjects many times a week. So check my website often. Yes, it is a new season, and as God says in His Word, “THERE IS A TIME FOR EVERY SEASON UNDER HEAVEN.“

To continue this week's subject of chores, I want to give a few specifics:

1. In our home, we had five o’clock chores, after diner chores, and Saturday morning chores. This helped our home to run smoothly. Everything was tidy and dinner was served when my husband walked through the door at six o’clock. The dishes were done promptly after eating together as a family. On a good day, the breakfast table was set and ready for all to eat the next morning. Saturday morning was an all-family work party to conquer big projects, like clean out the garage or even Spring Cleaning. Doing chores together built family, as well as character. In order to draw out their gifts, as well as build confidence, the older children were often called upon to teach the younger ones.

2. There are many ways to assign chores. As a young mother , I would write the chores on little slips of paper and let the children pick their chore out of a hat. I thought that they would enjoy their surprise pick. I was wrong. As an older and much wiser Mom, I would list the chores on a piece of paper and have them sign their names to the chore of their choice. Once my list was completed each day, I would yell, "CHORES!" and everyone would come running toward the notebook pads: friends, neighbors, those young and those old alike. Yes, at our home we would not only feed all those who were there at dinner time, but also assign chores to them., Our home was where everyone gathered, and it became a training ground of necessary life skills for all.

3. Additude was everything during chores. Complaining was not acceptable. We were even known to put on Christian music and REJOICE IN THE LORD while working together. Oh how God loves a MERRY HEART, and that needs to be cultivated!

Chores were one of the things God used in my life to make my life go peacefully. What do you think? Leave a comment or ask a question--I would love to hear from you!

Ellen

No comments: