Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Paid Jobs

Dear Moms,
The bible clearly states, “!f you don’t work, you don’t eat.” It‘s in there, believe me. Or, ask my children, because I used to quote it all the time to motivate them. It‘s a great motivator, especially if you
have teenage boys. Look it up in your bible, or e-mail me for the scripture reference. Knowing that not only is the scripture true, but also that it bears good fruit when acted upon, we lived this scripture in our home. Yes, chores were a common word in our home, and we‘ll discuss more on chores at a later date. Today, however, I‘d like to talk about paid jobs. In order to teach my children responsibility, as well as, how to handle finances, I would have a list of paid jobs on the fridge. These jobs would be any thing from washing the car, to babysitting the siblings. After each chore would be the amount they could earn and a place to sign their names. This worked great in our home. If there were no jobs posted and someone needed to make some money, they would even come to me to beg for a paid job. I could always think of something I was willing to pay them to do. What mother of seven couldn‘t! It was a win, win situation; I got needs meet and they were able to make some money to buy what they wanted. Every job was done well with a good heart and a smile on their face because, unlike chores, which were service in our home, these jobs reaped a salary reward. Now that I have grown children, I still hire them when I can to get things done that I can’t do. My daughter, Amanda, at the present time, is making me wedding invitations because my husband and I are renewing our vows in December. My daughter, Charity, bakes cakes for special occasions for me. My son, Josh, has just been hired to paint our home so we can sell it. Each child is using his or her gifts to bless me, and yes, we both reap a reward.

If at all possible, I try to keep it in the family. Why? Because I know I can trust them to do an outstanding job, and if anything goes wrong, I know where their parents live! What do you think, Mom? Any questions? Just ASK ELLEN.

TRULY CHILDREN ARE A BLESSING FROM THE LORD. “BLESSED IS HE WHOSE QUIVER IS FULL.” IN OTHER WORDS, CHILDREN, WHEN RAISED IN AGODLY HOME, WILL BLESS YOU BACK!

Ellen

No comments: