Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Nana or Grandma: Help Please!

Dear Moms,

If you are not a grandma or nana yet, like me, e-mail this blog posting to your mom or mother-in-law. They will appreciate the wisdom, and you will receive a blessing because of it. Mom, do you remember being a mommy? Let me remind you with a walk down memory lane. There were sleepless nights and you didn‘t even live in SEATTLE! There was spit up on your blouse that you put on backwards as you were rushing out the door, with the nursing baby in tow, to run a carpool. There was laundry to do, a house in disarray and dinner to cook. You weren‘t praying, “LORD GIVE ME MORE TIME,” but rather, “LORD, I NEED SLEEP,” OR “LORD I NEED A SHOWER.” Secretly, if the truth be known, we were all praying, “LORD, I NEED MY MOMMY.” Yes, days were too long, nights were too short, and we just needed a little help around this place and a little adult conversation.

Nana or grandma, that’s where you come in all rested and smiling with the white hairs, that show your wisdom, covered up by a dye job, of course, to protect your vanity. What do you do? You serve, Martha. Don’t try to get by with an, "I’ll pray for you honey." They do not need prayer they need you to roll, up your sleeves, put on the apron of humility, and serve in any and all ways you are needed. Don’t wait to be asked, nana, because of course, they will say "no." Don’t say, “IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?” Of course there is, look around, nana, we are getting old, but we can still see. Just remember when you were in that boat and no one was helping you row. You are the Simon that God is sending them to help them carry their cross. Yes, you are there to lessen the load and bring out some joy to their land. It helps to remember, ”A MOTHERS MIDDLE NAME IS SACRIFICE AND ONCE A MOTHER ALWAYS A MOTHER.” That’s why they need their mommy.

When I go to visit my married daughters, I use the gifts God gave me to bless them. I’m an organizer, so I hit the ground running as soon as my plane lands, and after hugging them affectionately and catching up on life and arriving at their home, I begin. I clean out closets, organize pantries, and reorganize the playroom. On my breaks, I play with the grandbabies, run errands with my daughters, buy the food , and take them out to dinner. Do I sleep? BARELY. What sleep I do get is pleasant and fulfilling because of lots of hard work mixed with a job well done. When visiting my daughter Tarolyn, I even spoke at her MOMS CLUB. Yes, I share my gifts and try to be a BLESSING to their lives. I think it is working because my son-in-law, Dan, invites me to come--maybe because he appreciates me cleaning out the refrigerator or maybe because the house gets straightened. My son-in-law, Kyle, says, "Can you stay an extra week?" Then he adds, "I think I will ask my mom to detail clean when she comes." You see, that’s her gift. What is your gift, Grandma? Did you ever hear the song, “IF WE ARE HIS BODY, WHY AREN'T OUR ARMS REACHING?” Never have your arms been more needed or more appreciated then in the lives of your daughters. Just a side note, you may have to approach this a lot more tenderly with a daughter-in law. LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP, NANA. In other wards, ASK BEFORE YOU TAKE OVER THE HOUSE. They may react totally differently to you than they would to their own mom. I talk about mother-in-laws on another post. I bet I can get a lot of e-mails on that one.

My advice to you, nana or grandma, is BE THERE. Help where you are needed, and for heaven sakes, BE A BLESSING. You are Jesus with skin on to them. Nana, or Grandma, ask yourself, “WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?” THEN JUST DO IT. A nd do it with all your heart as unto the Lord. Kiss them all goodbye, get back on that plane with a smile on your face and a heart filled with memories that will last a lifetime. Pamper yourself now; you desire a break. Take some rest and relaxation; you’ve earned it.

What do you think? Just ask Ellen!

No comments: