Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Kindness Box

Dear Moms,
Jesus says, “WE ARE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD . LET YOUR LIGHT SO SHINE BEFORE MEN THAT WILL SEE YOUR GOOD WORKS AND GIVE GLORY TO GOD THE FATHER.” We al know so well the Scripture, BY GRACE ARE YOU SAVED, THRU FAITH, NOT OF OURSELF, IT IS A GIFT OF GOD. One way we can let out light shine before men and love them into the Kingdom of God is by doing random Acts of Kindness. I believe that even though we are not saved by good works but because of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ’s shed Blood on the cross, we should live in the Spirit doing a life of good works. These good works should flow out of a heart of Gratefulness and not out of duty That said I am going to concentrate on a different angle of thankfulness today. This is a practical way to cultivate a thankful heart in others including your husband and your children.
Aa my children grew older and more self sufficient, I began to be called by God into numerous ministries. One of my favorite ministries God put on my heart to do I call the “KINDNESS BOX.” I have a black leather container, in the kitchen near the phone , which I have given this nickname. The kindness box is used to house slips of paper that I collect throughout the week. For example if some one calls me and they say Susan’s father just died. I immediately write down, on a slip of paper, send Susan a Mass card for her dad. If I get wind that Jeanne is going thru a hard time with one of her children, a write down on another slip of paper, send Jeanne a word of encouragement. If my brother is taking the Bar in California or my son in law has a job interview, my slip of paper will read write to Craig or Dan and tell them I am praying for them. I collect random acts of kindness that I can perform to bless another when they least expect in, yet need it the most. Once a week I sit down with a pen, note cards, my address book and a prayer, inviting the Holy Spirit to lead me to just what to say to each person. I some times add one of my books as my gift to bless them, again as the Lord leads. This ministry takes a couple hours of my time each week and can be costly. All letters are mailed at the Post Office. This is one of my favorite ministries, that God calls me to be a part of. This ministries cultivates a Thankful Heart in all who receive these letters. How do I know this? Many times I will get feedback from the either with a phone call or a thank you card. Then it is my turn to be thankful, knowing that I was lead by God’ Spirit to bless that person. I am always looking for opportunities to thank others as well. This ministry combines two of my favorite things, Reviving the lost art of letter writing and blessing people I may not ever know. Often friends or family members, that know I have the “KINDNESS BOX,” will actual call me and ask me to send some one a card or note of encouragement. I never refuse, Every one loves to get mail and just hearing from and old friend, a family member or a stranger is a great cause to rejoice. This ministry is truly a labor of love. Since Charity begins at home, I always look for ways to bless, my husband, my children, my mom. My siblings and of course my grandbabies. One of my favorite Scriptures is , “GIVE AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN UNTO YOU. PRESSED DOWN, SHAKEN TOGETHER AND OVERFLOWING.” This “Kindness Box,” is great way to grow the fruit of Kindness in your heart.
Every one loves to hear the words, “YOU’VE GOT MAIL,” especially your children. Mail your children letters occasionally, even if they live in the same house as you. They will truly JUMP FOR JOY! The element of surprise adds to the pleasure, so mail them a letter when they least expect it. A WAY TO GO CARD, when they make the team that that trained so hard for ,or made the honor roll for the first time. An apology letter when you have been wrong. Or a letter of encouragement when their best friend has moved away. All these acts of kindness done in Christ’s name is a special way to say I love you, and I care. Thankfulness will grow in their hearts and it will bring a smile to both your faces as they mention to you how much you letter blessed them. Mom, even if they don’t say a word, you will know that it touched them by the Additude of their heart. Now mom make this a habit in their lives as well, encourage them to do random acts of kindness, thru letter writing. Have them write a thank you card to the grandparents, a card to a sick friend or letter to a sibling who is away at college. Connecting with people in this way is a great habit to pass down to your children. It will bring such joy and thanksgiving to you when you receive feedback like this, You’ll never guess who I heard from this week , followed by , “IT MADE MY DAY!”
Don’t leave your husband out . I send my husband a letter, card or some form of mail every week. It is a little way of letting him know that I am thinking about him. He says that he always opens the mail when He is all alone because he never knows what will be in the envelop. This gives the element of surprise and a touch of romance all rolled into one.
E-Mail is great but there is nothing better than a letter write in your own handwriting that the receiver can read and reread, knowing that it came straight from you heart. So let you light shine, establish a kindness box or even a kindness drawer in your kitchen will do. Take the time to let those you love know you care.
That’s All From Ellen
www.momsbestwisdom.com



.

No comments: