Tuesday, November 4, 2008

L is for Love

Dear Moms,
“This is my commandment that you love one another that your joy may be full.” The words of that old Christian Song are never more true than in the area of Motherhood .There is nothing more precious than a mother’s love poured out agape’ style on all of her children. That is why love is not only the next key word but also the most important key word in this section on discipline. Mom, always ere toward love. An expectant mother often wonders if they will have enough love for their next child. They love the ones they have so much especially , if they only have one child. Then God blesses them with a second child. They wonder if they will love this child as much as their first. They pray fervently to God for the grace to do just that. Yes, God is always faithful. God showed me a long time ago that the more love we pour out, the more love He fills us with. I know it is a Scriptural Principle, “GIVE AND IT SHLL BE GIVEN UNTO YOU,DOWN, SHAKEN TOGETHER , AND OVERFLOWING. God’s word is true and if He said it, He will surely do it .Think of it as a word picture of th milk supply of a nursing mother, the more milk the baby drinks, the more milk the mom makes. In the same way as you give love out, God fills you with more love to give. It is a principle of supply and demand.
Two key things are important, Love and Consistence. If a mother is strict, yet loving and consistent, her children will most likely become strong and well adjusted adults. If a mother is lenient ,yet loving, and consistent, her children will most likely become strong, and well adjusted adults. I have seen this play out in my life and the lives of other mothers who parented children ,when I was raising my children. I have also observed adults who lacked the qualities of love and consistency and their children were not so well adjusted. My conclusion of my people watching was, IT DOES NOT MATTER SO MUCH IF YOU ARE STRICT OR IF YOU ARE LIENTIENT, WHAT MATTERS MOST IS ARE YOU LOVING AND ARE YOU CONSISTENT. I however believe on trying to strike a healthy balance between being a strict parent and being a lenient parent.
Moms, listen to your children, and let them know how important they are to you. Make sure that they know just how much you love them. Show your love to them not only in words, but also in actions. Never, ever, take your love away as a form of punishment. Your love should be given freely and without end, as God’s Love is given to you. You mom, are your child’s view of God. Your child will feel secure in God’s Love, if your child is secure in your love. Always be ready to give a hug and say, “ I understand.” You might add, “I love you and I will always love you, but that was still wrong. I love you too much to let you be disobedient. After all, I am accountable to God for your behavior. I am raising you for the KINGDOM OF GOD.
The definition of what God means by the word Love is explained thoroughly in the Scripture I Corinthians 13. Read this Scripture Verse slowly and insert the word Mom instead of the word love. It would go something like this…“Mom is very patient. Mom is very kind. Mom is not boastful. Mom is not proud.” If you are any thing like me you will quickly realize that you have a long way to go to become the mother God desires you to be. In disciplining our children let I Corinthians 13 be our measuring stick. Let love be our guide. Let us pray to God each day to be filled with the love we need to discipline our children using Godly Principles. Let us strive to be an example to the world of disciplining our children kindly, patiently, and with the agape’ love that only God can give. Read I Corinthians 13 daily if possible, it will change your heart and it will change your life. Yes, God changes us from within as we spend time with Him.
That’s all from Ellen. www.momsbestwisdom.com

No comments: